A French savory pastry made with Pate a Choux. Enriched with cheese, scallions and toasted sliced almond. Great appetizer for yourself or guests.
- 3/4 Cup(s) Sliced Almonds
- 1 Cup(s) Water
- 1/2 Cup(s) Unsalted Butter, diced
- 2 Table Spoon(s) Dijon Mustard
- 1 Cup(s) Flour
- 4 Tea Spoon(s) Eggs
- 1/2 Cup(s) Scallions
- 3/4 Cup(s) Shredded Cheddar Cheese or Gruyere Cheese
1.Spread almonds in a shallow pan and toast in a preheated 350F oven for 8-10 minutes, or until lightly browned. (stir once or twice.) Let the nuts cool and then set aside.
2. Once Almonds are toasted raise oven heat to 400 F
3. Heat the water, butter and mustard and bring to a rolling boil in a large saucepan. 4.Stir in the flour with a wooden spoon, beating until the mixture forms a ball and leaves the side of the pan. Lower the temperature and continue to dry out the dough for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool down for a few minutes.
6.Drop by spoonfuls onto a sheet pan covered with parchment paper or a sheet pan that is ungreased. Brush the top of each puff with beaten egg and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup of almonds and 1/4 cup of cheese.
7.Place the sheet pan on the center rack of a preheated oven of 400F and bake for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, reduce the temperature to 350F and bake for another 15-20 minutes until puffed and well browned. (During anytime during the cooking process,do not open the oven door, as doing this can cause your gougeres to not puff properly.)
Serve warm or cold.