Date Added: Sep 25, 2010 American Baking and Pastry
Watch and learn how to make fluffy and delicious biscuits! Chef James Knowles will show you how to make original Southern style biscuits.
- 6 Cup(s) Flour
- 1/2 Pound(s) Butter, unsalted
- 1 Cup(s) Shortening, vegetable
- 1 Tea Spoon(s) Salt
- 1/4 Cup(s) Baking Powder
- 1 Tea Spoon(s) Sugar
- 2 1/2 Cup(s) Milk
- In a large mixing bowl, mix dry ingredients.
- Add butter and shortening and mix with dry ingredients.
- Create a well in the middle of your mixed ingredients and add 2 cups of milk.
- Begin to fold your ingredients into the milk to create layers, be careful not to overwork the mixture.
- Add the other 1/2 cup of milk and continue to fold your ingredients.
- Sprinkle a large clean surface with flour and place the biscuit mix on floured surface.
- Continue to fold the dough to create layers, press out gently until your dough is square in shape and approximately 1" thick.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and let rest for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Sprinkle your hands and the surface again with flour and begin to press out the dough until it is 1/2" thick, do not roll out your dough.
- Measure using 4 fingers from the end of your dough and with the knife press down and come up, do not rotate the knife back and forth.
- Turn the dough strips and cut them into squares, using your 4 fingers as a measurement
- Place dough squares on an ungreased baking pan.
- Brush squares with egg wash (1 egg & 1/2 cup milk mixture).
- Bake in a preheated 425F degree oven (convection oven use 375 F degrees) for 15-19 minutes.
- When biscuits are done, Brush tops with melted butter.