Date Added: Feb 24, 2011 Southwestern Side dishes
This black bean recipe is cooked with pork neck and bay leaves. Then for a nice flavor base, sofrito and chipotle peppers are added. Allow time for the dried beans to soak overnight and they take 2 hours to cook.
- 1 Pound(s) Black Beans
- 1 Each Smoked ham hock or neck bone
- 2 Each Bay Leaves
- 6 Ounce(s) Weight Sofrito
- 4 Ounce(s) Weight Olive Oil
- 2 Tea Spoon(s) Chipotle pepper , chopped
- Soak black beans in water overnight in a refrigerator.
- Transfer beans in a pot and add enough cold water to cover by 2 inches.
- Add pork necks and bay leaves to the beans.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 2 hours until beans are tender.
- Add water during the cooking process to keep beans covered.
- When beans are tender, drain and reserve the remaining cooking liquid.
- In a sauce pan fry sofrito and chipotle pepper in the olive oil.
- Add the beans and enough of the reserved cooking liquid to achieve the proper consistency.
- Correct seasoning with salt and pepper.
- For a thicker consistency puree some of the beans with a hand blender.
- The reserved hock meat may be shredded and returned to the beans.
- Serve with white rice.