Date Added: Jul 31, 2011 American Baking and Pastry
This recipe makes a very pure, clean-tasting chocolate cake with a fine crumb and a texture that can be moist or dry depending on how long you bake it. Vanilla ice cream would be a great accompaniment.
- 2 Cup(s) Sugar
- 1 3/4 Cup(s) All-purpose Flour
- 3/4 Cup(s) Cocoa, unsweetened
- 1 ½ Tea Spoon(s) Baking Powder
- 1 ½ Tea Spoon(s) Baking Soda
- 1 Tea Spoon(s) Salt
- 2 Each Eggs
- 1 Cup(s) Milk
- 1/2 Cup(s) Vegetable oil
- 2 Tea Spoon(s) Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup(s) Water, boiling
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F.
- Grease two 9 inch round baking pans.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes in a standing mixer.
- Stir in boiling water. Please note the batter will be thin.
- Pour into pans.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. To ensure it is finshed insert a wooden toothpick and if it comes out clean it is done.
- Cool for 10 minutes, remove from pan and add frosting.