Date Added: Jun 6, 2012 Scandinavian Side dishes
The Vikings didn´t grow potatoes, but they did grow barley. Watch Icelandic chef Fridleifur make this ancient dressed up side dish. Creamed barley goes great with any fish and it is a nice change from mashed potatoes.
- 3/4 Cup(s) Barley
- 1 Table Spoon(s) Ginger
- 3 Cup(s) Water
- 1/4 Cup(s) Shallots
- 1 Table Spoon(s) Butter
- 5/8 Cup(s) Cream
- To Taste Pepper
- To Taste Salt
- 1/4 Cup(s) Parsley
- Boil barley with chunk of ginger.
- When the barley grains have soaked up all the water, remove from stove.
- Remove ginger from barley.
- In another pot, sweat out shallots.
- Now add the barley to the shallots and add the butter.
- Once butter is melted add cream.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Add parsley.
- Serve and enjoy!