Croque Madame Sandwich
A croque-monsieur served with a fried egg or poached egg on top is known as a croque-madame.
- 2 Each Sourdough Bread, slices
- 3 Table Spoon(s) Béchamel Sauce, cooled
- 2 Each Ham, slices
- 2 Each Gruyere Cheese
- 1 Table Spoon(s) Oil
- As Needed Parmesan cheese
- 1 Each Egg, fried
- Spoon the béchamel sauce on the tops of both bread slices.
- Place ham and cheese on top of the bechamel.
- Close to make a sandwhich.
- Spread a little bit of butter on both outsides of the sandwich.
- Place the sandwich on a medium hot frying pan.
- Brown each side.
- Bake in the oven for 4 to 5 minutes at 350 F.
- To finish the croque madame you will add a fried egg on top of the sandwich.
- Serve and enjoy
In some places the béchamel sauce is placed on top of the sandwich instead of inside. If that's how you want to do it, you can add the béchamel sauce after browning the sandwich on the pan and before baking it in the oven. Sprinkle parmesan or gruyere cheese on top of béchamel sauce before baking