How to Brine a Turkey
Date Added: Jun 26, 2011 American Culinary skills
Watch Chef Johnny Vee show you how to brine a turkey. He shows you both the dry and wet techniques. This will make your next Thanksgiving Day turkey perfect!
- 1/3 Cup(s) Kosher salt
- 1 ½ Tea Spoon(s) Dried rosemary
- 1 ½ Tea Spoon(s) Dried sage
- 1 ½ Tea Spoon(s) Dried thyme
- 1 ½ Tea Spoon(s) Dried marjoram
- 1 ½ Tea Spoon(s) Dried celery seeds
- 2 Each Bay leaves, crumbled
- 2 Table Spoon(s) Sugar
- 1 Tea Spoon(s) Red chile flakes
- 1 Table Spoon(s) Lemon or orange zest, finely diced
- 1 Table Spoon(s) Juniper berries
- 1 Tea Spoon(s) Black pepper
- 8 Table Spoon(s) Butter, softened
- For a dry brine:
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl.
- Brush your turkey with the brine.
- Let the turkey sit in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
- Then pat the turkey dry and coat with goose fat prior to cooking.
- Take your soften butter and rub it between the skin and the meat of the turkey. This will help keep it moist.