idealchef.com

Marzipan Cookies

Date Added: Feb 28, 2012 Scandinavian Baking and Pastry
Back to Search

Prep Time

20 mins

Cook Time

8 mins

Ready In

28 mins

Serving

85

*to adjust serving size click on "serving box".

Description

Watch Pastry Chef Jon Arelius and learn how to make these festive almond paste cookies that are most often served with Kransakaka. This is a very popular dessert in Scandinavia, which is served at many special occasions. The ideal almond paste cookie is hard to the touch, yet soft and chewy inside.


Ingredients

  • 2 1/4  Pound(s) Almond Paste
  • 1
  • 17 1/2  Ounce(s) Weight Sugar
  • 2
  • 2 3/8  Ounce(s) Weight Egg White (approximately 2 eggs)
  • 3
  •  As Needed Melted chocolate
  • 4

Directions

    1. Mix egg whites and sugar together, until you have a consistency of a wet snowball.
    2. Mix snowball with the almond paste and combine until totally mixed.
    3. Create a thick roll approximately 5-6 cm in diameter or 2.5 inches and 90 cm long or 28 inches.
    4. Cut off about 20% of the roll to create small cookies, (makes about 17 cookies). The remaining 80% is for making an almond paste tower or Kransakaka (see related video).
    5. If you are not planning on making the actual Kransakaka, this recipe will yield about 85 cookies.
    6. Roll out the dough and cut into small pieces, approximately 4cm or 1.5 inches in length and 2cm or 3/4 of an inch in diameter.
    7. Shape the cookies with the palms of your hands and flatten them out a little.
    8. Bake at 220 Celsius (425F) for 5 to 7 minutes. You are really only toasting the cookies.
    9. The edges should turn golden with the middle soft and chewy.
    10. Watch carefully, as you Bake the cookies because they will burn quickly if unattended.
    11. We recommend testing your oven with one cookie before you Bake them all.
    12. Cool the cookies for at least 30 minutes.
    13. Decorate with royal icing. Pipe the frosting in a wavy pattern.
    14. Let cookies stand for at least 20-30 minutes to let the icing sugar harden.
    15. Dip the bottom of the cookies into melted chocolate.
    16. Enjoy with a glass of champagne!

     

     

    Royal Icing

    Ingredients

  • 1 Each Egg White
  • As Needed Confectioner Sugar
  • Directions

    1. Place egg white into a bowl.
    2. Mix confectioner sugar with egg whites until you get the right consistency.
    3. The consistency should be thin enough to ensure continuous flow.
    4. Put icing into piping bag.


To add a comment you must have to login or sign up.