Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
Date Added: Dec 18, 2011 American Appetizers
Let Chef Tony show you how to make delicious roasted pumpkin seeds. This is a great healthy snack and a good use of your Halloween pumpkin.
- 1 Each Seeds from Pumpkin
- As Needed Mediterranean sea salt
- Remove the seeds from your Halloween pumpkin placing them in cold water.
- Grab every chuck of the stringy pulp, run fingers it, harvesting the seeds and discarding the pulp. At this point run fingers through it again to take the finer pulp out to get it as clean as possible.
- Place the cleaned seeds in a large bowl, (depending upon your amount of seeds) fill and cover with water and create a brine by adding plenty of Mediterranean sea salt.
- Let the seeds soak in this salty water over night at room temperature.
- The next day, drain but do not rinse and place on paper towels to dry the excess water from the seeds.
- Spread the seeds (mostly single layer) on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and roast in a preheated 180 degree oven until all the excess moisture has evaporated, about an hour, mixing periodically. You will see as the moisture starts to evaporate, the sea salt will start to crystallize on the shell. Towards the end, increase the heat to 325 degrees, just enough to brown (keeping an eye on them as this only takes a few minutes).
- Remove from oven and slide the parchment full of seeds onto a cooler surface to stop the cooking process.
- After they are cooled down, you can put them into a container to enjoy as you watch more of my clips on idealchef.com.