Butchering Whole Fillet loin
Date Added: May 19, 2010 Cooking Techniques Butchering
The process of breaking down of a popular a semi-primal cut of beef filet mignon, and portioning of 6oz steaks utilizing as much product as possible.
- Using gloves, peel away membrane from entire loin, and discard.
- Pull your knife down the "chain" of the tenderloin separating the chain from the loin, (can reserve for beef broth or other utilization.
- Then finding the natural seem of the larger head side of the tenderloin separate by gliding the knife through the natural separation.
- Peel the silverskin by using the technique shown in the video, and discard. finally to portion fillet steaks trim both ends of the loin, and reserve for kabobs, stew, or other utilization.
- To get 1-2 steaks out of the "head" of the tenderloin which has been separated and reserved to the side use the technique to remove some fat and clean the meat in order to successfully portion 1-2 6oz steaks.