Kfir's Cassoulet with Boar Shank and Duck Sausage
Date Added: May 13, 2010 French Entrees
No Related Video Recipes Available.
Classical French Bean Stew with a twist. This dish is Stewed Boar Shank, Duck Sausage with Cannelli beans and Bacon Lardones. This is all slow cooked together in one pot with herbs and spices. The finished product is Beautiful.
- Each Brine
- 1 Quart(s) Water
- 1 Ounce(s) Weight Sugar
- 4 Ounce(s) Weight Salt
- 2 Each Garlic, cloves
- 3 Each Marjoram, sprigs
- Each Meat for Cassoulet
- 2 Each Boar Shank, Pieces
- 8 Ounce(s) Weight Duck Sausage
- 1 Pound(s) Slab Bacon
- Each Sachet d'espice
- 2 Table Spoon(s) Pepper Corns whole
- 1 Tea Spoon(s) Cardamom
- 1 Table Spoon(s) Coriander
- 1 Table Spoon(s) Fennel Seed
- 5 Each Cloves
- 1 Each Star Anise
- Each Bouquet Garni
- 2 Each Rosemary Sprigs
- 2 Each Tarragon Sprigs
- 2 Each Marjoram Sprigs
- 2 Each Sage Sprigs
- 1 Each Piece of Leek to wrap up the herbs
- As Needed Other Ingredients
- 1 Pound(s) Cannelli Beans, Dry
- 1 Each Onion, spanish
- 2 Each Rosemary, sprigs
- 2 Each Garlic, cloves
- 2 Cup(s) White Wine
- 3 Table Spoon(s) Tomato Paste
- 2 Quart(s) Vegetable or Chicken Stock
- 1/2 Cup(s) Bread Crumbs
- 1 To Taste Salt and Pepper
- The day Before you must start to brine your Boar Shank.
- Mix 1 liter of water with 1 oz of sugar and 4 oz of salt 2 garlic cloves and 2 marjoram sprigs.
- Place the Boar in the brine and keep in refrigerator for 24 hours.
- Dry the Boar shanks and season with salt and pepper then dredge them in flour.
- In a thick bottom saute pan heat 4 tablespoons of oil add 2 crushed cloves of garlic and rosemary sprigs to infuse the oil with flavor.
- Then take your time and brown all sides of the shanks slowly.
- Cut the slab bacon into lardons 1/4 inch wide by 1/4 inch high by 1.5 inches long.
- Slice the onions into thin half moons.
- Heat the large pot and add the lardons and render out the fat.
- Next start to cook out the onion slices in that fat and add the dry beans.
- When onion slices start to take on some color deglaze with the white wine and scrape all the bits off the bottom of the pot, then reduce the liquid till almost gone.
- Add the tomato paste and allow to cook out for a few minutes, constantly stirring.
- At this point add the vegetable stock in the pot and add the seared shanks.
- Bring to a simmer, cover and place in oven for 2 and a half hours.
- 30 minutes before the cassoulet is done dress the sausage with clarified butter and season.
- Grill the sausage so it has nice color on all sides, no need to cook it all the way through.
- Place the sausage in the pot and cook for an other 30 minutes.
- At this time the Cassoulet should be done. Arrange a piece of shank on the plate with duck sausage and the beans.
- Top this with some bread crumbs and garnish with rosemary.