Date Added: Jan 3, 2010 French Desserts
- 1 Quart(s) Heavy Cream
- 2/3 Cup(s) Granulated Sugar
- 1 Each Vanilla Bean
- 8 Each Eggs - yolks only
- 1/4 Cup(s) Granulated Sugar
- In heavy Sauce pan add Cream, Vanilla Bean and 2/3 cup sugar.
- On cutting board split length wise vanilla bean and scrap out inside and add to Sauce pan.
- Heat over low - medium heat until almost a boil and Remove from heat.
- In Large stainless steel bowl add egg yolks and whisk slightly.
- Add a small amount of hot liquid to egg yolks whisk rapidly.
- Continue adding hot cream in small amounts to egg yolks until all combined.
- After all ingredients are mixed pour mixture into individual ramekins.
- Bake at 300 degrees with ramekins in another deep baking pan with warm warm water filled 1/2 way up the sides of ramekins.
- Bake for 20 - 30 minutes.
- You will know they are ready when they set up like jello when you wiggle the pan.
- Remove from water and chill for at least 1 hour.
- When ready to serve sprinkle with remaining amount of sugar.
- Light blow torch and caramelize sugar on top of custard.
- If you do not have a blow torch you can use the ovens broiler on high.