Eggplant Parmigiana with a Twist
Date Added: May 24, 2010 Italian Vegetarian
No Related Video Recipes Available.
An aromatic dish of fried eggplant layered and baked with tomato sauce and cheeses. The blended flavors of Italy brought to your table.
- 2 Each Eggplants, peeled, sliced 1/4" thick
- 1/2 Cup(s) Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Tea Spoon(s) Salt
- 2 Cup(s) Breadcrumbs, Italian
- 1/4 Cup(s) Flour
- 4 Each Eggs
- 20 Ounce(s) Weight Mozzarella Cheese, low fat, shredded
- 2 Cup(s) Parmigiano Reggiano, grated
- As Needed Salt & Pepper
- Pick eggplants that are the lightest in color, these will have less seeds. Peel and slice eggplant to 1/4" slices. Coat both sides with salt, place in pan to rest for 30 minutes.
- Rinse off salt from each slice of eggplant and pat dry with paper towel. Heat large frying pan and add oil to Coat. In a separate bowl beat eggs. On a plate mix together flavored breadcrumbs and flour.
- Dip each slice of eggplant into egg and then dredge in breadcrumbs, then place in a hot frying pan. Ensure your frying pan is hot you can use my match stick trick to test. fry each piece of eggplant on both sides until golden brown.
- The oil tends to dry up so keep adding oil as needed. Drain on paper towel to absorb access oil.
- Making sauce: In a bowl mix your crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, garlic powder, pepper, salt and chopped basil.
- Ricotta mixture: In another bowl mix ricotta, garlic powder, handful of mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese and some tomato sauce.
- To layer: Coat the bottom of an 8 x12 baking pan with your sauce and then layer with eggplant until sauce is covered. Next layer with your ricotta cheese mixture and sprinkle your shredded mozzarella on top.
- Then repeat to create another layer. Make sure your top layers are tomato sauce and mozzarella.
- Pre heat the oven to 450 degrees, then lower temperature to 400 degrees and place in oven for 40 minutes, make sure the top is golden brown. Remove from oven, let eggplant parmesan settle for 10-15 minutes before serving.
- Cut into squares and sprinkle on with parmesan cheese and garnish with basil leaf. Serve with garlic bread and side salad. Enjoy!