Eggplant Ratatouille Shakshuka with Poached Eggs
Date Added: May 20, 2010 Middle Eastern Gluten Free
No Related Video Recipes Available.
Eggs are poached in a spicy vegetable ratatouille. A colorful dish with bursting flavors. This dish is very popular in the middle east where it is known as Shakshuka. Served at any meal from breakfast to dinner.
- 1 Each Eggplant, peeled and cubed
- 1 Each Red Pepper, chopped
- ½ Each Onion, chopped
- 1 Each Green Pepper, chopped
- 2 Each Zucchini, chopped
- 5 Each Garlic Cloves, chopped
- 1 Each 13 oz. Can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 Each 6 oz. Can Tomato Sauce
- ½ Tea Spoon(s) Dried Red Pepper Flakes, crushed
- 1 Tea Spoon(s) Red Paprika
- ¼ Tea Spoon(s) Chili Powder
- ½ Tea Spoon(s) Cumin
- 1/2 Cup(s) Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 8 Each Eggs
- As Needed Water
- To Taste Salt & Pepper
- Peel and cube in small pieces the eggplant and put in bowl coat with salt. Let rest for at least 1/2 an hour and then rinse salt off. Next chop onion red pepper green pepper and zucchini squash.
- Place all ingredients in a large skillet and pour a 1/2 of cup of olive on top & mix.
- Cook on medium heat and add water accordingly. You just want the vegetables to soften up so periodically mix until vegetables are cooked and tender (you will need to add small amounts of water as not to burn).
- When the vegetables are soft you can mash with potato masher if you don't like it lumpy.
- Add crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce chopped garlic red paprika cumin chili powder and red pepper flakes. mix all ingredients and let them come to a slow simmer on a low flame for around 5 minutes while occasionally mixing.
- This will fuse all the flavors together. Taste if you want it spicier now is time to add more red pepper flakes.
- Next make a shallow cavity one at a t