Steak Au Poivre
Date Added: Nov 29, 2010 French Entrees
- 2 Each Fillet Medallions
- 2 Table Spoon(s) Black Peppercorns
- 2 Table Spoon(s) Green Peppercorns
- 2 Table Spoon(s) Pink Peppercorns
- As Needed Kosher Salt
- 3 Table Spoon(s) Butter
- 1 Table Spoon(s) Shallots, minced
- 1 Fluid ounce(s) Cognac
- 2 Fluid ounce(s) Demi Glace
- 2 Fluid ounce(s) Heavy Cream
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Season medallions with salt.
- Coat medallions in peppercorns, pushing in so they don't fall off.
- Heat a saute pan on medium high heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter to pan and melt.
- Sear fillet in pan for 2 - 3 minutes on both sides.
- Remove medallions from pan and finish in the oven, 6 - 7 minutes for medium rare.
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter to saute pan and shallots.
- saute shallots and scrape up the brown bits.
- Remove pan from flame and add cognac.
- Carefully place back on fire and flambe.
- Reduce sauce by 1/3.
- Add demi glace and bring to a simmer.
- Add heavy cream and bring to a simmer again.
- Stir in butter until melted.
- Taste and Season with salt.
- Remove steak from oven and plate up with cognac sauce.