Pickled Red Onions
Date Added: Dec 11, 2009 Continental Vegetarian
A great condiment for hot dogs and hamburgers, also a wonderful addition to any salad.
- 1 Cup(s) Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 Tea Spoon(s) Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Cup(s) Granulated Sugar
- 1 Each Red Onion, large
- 2 Each Bay Leaf
- 1 Tea Spoon(s) Peppercorns
- 1 Tea Spoon(s) White Pepper
- 1 Table Spoon(s) Lemon Juice, fresh
- 3 Cup(s) Water
- Peel red onion, cut into thin slices or rings.
- In a pot on medium high heat, add vinegar, salt, sugar, bay leaf, peppercorns, white pepper and lemon juice.
- Increase heat to high and let boil.
- Add sliced onion.
- Turn heat down to medium, boil onions for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes or more.
- Take contents of pot and pour into a plastic container, let cool to room temperature.
- Chill onions in liquid for 24 hours.
- Remove onions and reserve for later use.