Root Vegetable Chips
Date Added: May 10, 2010 Caribbean Appetizers
Root Vegetable Chips are a nice alternative to potato chips and they go great with your favorite salsa.
- 1 Each Large green plantain sliced thin
- 1 Each Batata(caribbean sweet potato) sliced paper thin
- 1 Each Malanga(taro) sliced paper thin
- As Needed Oil for frying
- To peel the plantain, put the whole plantain in warm water for about 20 minutes.
- Cut off boths ends of the plantain and use the tip off a sharp knife to make three long slits from one end to the other.
- At this point you should be able to peel the plantain using a towel to avoid your fingers from discoloring from the plantain.
- Peel the other vegetables.
- Cut the plantain lengthwise and the other vegetables diagonally.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer according to manufacture's instructions, about 365 degrees.
- Or use a deep heavy bottom pot using a frying thermometer heat oil to 365-370 degrees.
- fry vegetables in batches try not to over crowd the pot until they turn golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels sprinkle with salt, transfer to a bowl or platter for serving.