Spicy Tomato Chutney
Date Added: May 10, 2010 Caribbean Vegetarian
Chef Carla's Spicy Tomato Chutney is a bright red tomato & ginger relish with a bit of heat. Goes well with grilled meats and any Indian dishes.
- 1 1/2 Cup(s) Red ripe tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/4 Cup(s) Spanish onion, diced
- 1 ½ Tea Spoon(s) Garlic, minced
- 1 ½ Tea Spoon(s) Ginger, minced
- 2 Table Spoon(s) Cider vinegar
- 1 ½ Tea Spoon(s) Brown sugar
- ½ Each Scotch bonnet pepper, minced
- ¼ Tea Spoon(s) Cumin
- ½ Tea Spoon(s) Salt
- 1 Pinch Black pepper
- 2 Table Spoon(s) Vegetable oil
- Rinse tomatoes and dry .
- Cut tomatoes in half length-ways.
- Place face down on cookie sheet in the oven on broil.
- After about 5-6 mins the skin of the tomato begins to peel back from the flesh, it's time to take it out of the oven.
- After the tomatoes are cool enough to handle peel off the skin and discard.
- Heat 2 Tbs of oil, add onion and cook until it gets soft, but not brown. Then add the ginger and garlic. and cook for a few minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix together.
- Lower heat and cook until almost all of the liquid has evaporated.
- Chutney will thicken once it has cooled.