No Related Video Recipes Available.
Whole fish butchering (up and over technique)
Date Added: May 19, 2010 American Butchering
Removing fillets from whole Red Snapper for portioning or baking.
- 1 Each Whole Red Snapper
- Using knife upside down, slice from gill towards belly under lower dorsal fin then back around the head to give a separation of the fillet from the head and stomach.
- Then using the knife slide the blade down the back along the spinal cord, careful not to go in too deep at this step (just creating an outline)
- Slowly simultaneously lift the fillet and let your knife scrap along the bones (ribs) until you find the central spine.
- using just the tip of your knife, go up and over the backbone careful to not trim off to much flesh from the fillet.
- Then using a pushing technique with your knife away from your body scrap down the belly side bones until the knife has passed through the entire fillet